donderdag 30 december 2010

Osteoporosis

I love reading the newsletters written by dr.Mercola. Based upon what I have read over the years, I can tell you that his letters are absolutely worth while reading.

Underneath I quote from his article that is titled:

The Truth about Osteoporosis and Calcium Deficiency

I'm sure you've heard that the cause of osteoporosis and the key to its prevention revolve around calcium, right?

Unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth.

Dr. Robert Thompson, M.D., wrote an entire book on this subject called, The Calcium Lie, which explains that bone is comprised of at least a dozen minerals and the exclusive focus on calcium supplementation is likely to worsen bone density and increase your risk of developing osteoporosis!

As mentioned in this previous article, Dr. Thompson recommends the use of unprocessed salt as a far healthier alternative to calcium supplementation.

I recommend using Himalayan salt as it is an excellent way to feed your body the trace minerals it needs to function optimally.


Gluten Intolerance and Bone Loss

Is your stomach often upset?

Chronic gas, nausea, bloating, diarrhea, constipation and brain fog could all be signs of an undiagnosed gluten intolerance.

Gluten is a protein found in grains such as wheat, rye and barley. According to statistics from the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center, an average of one out of every 133 otherwise healthy people in the United States suffer from celiac disease (CD) but previous studies have found this number could be as high as 1 in 33 in at-risk populations.

Those with undiagnosed gluten intolerance often have malabsorption of nutrients due to chronic intestinal damage. This means that your body is unable to optimally take nutrients from food and distribute them throughout your body.

This malabsorption of nutrients can lead to osteoporosis.

If you often experience the above-mentioned symptoms, a gluten free diet may be the key you need to experience great health, perhaps for the first time in your life.
My book, The No Grain Diet, explains, in detail, the damaging health effects of sugars and grains, even to those who do not have a gluten intolerance.

Other Foods that Lead to Bone Loss

Processed and fast foods are the worst stuff you can put into your body. In order for your body to function optimally, it needs the type of balanced diet that I suggest in the next section.

Processed foods such as potato chips, french fries, microwaveable "meals", soda and candy contain very little nutrients and are chock full of undigestible fats and dangerous additives such as high fructose corn syrup, aspartame and preservatives.

When cooking, I advise you to avoid most all omega-6 based oils such as corn, safflower or soy oil. These oils are loaded with highly processed, damaged omega 6 fats, which contribute to inflammation in your body.

Instead, I recommend using healthful olive- and coconut oils.


Foods that Prevent Bone Loss

I recommend eating a wide variety of organic, preferably locally grown vegetables to get a proper balance of essential vitamins and minerals into your body. An easy way to increase the amount of vegetables in your diet is vegetable juicing.


Osteoporosis in Men

Here is something about osteoporosis in men you may not have realized: Men over the age of 50 are at greater risk for developing osteoporosis than prostate cancer. Men develop this disease because of a condition called hypogonadism, which may lead to shrinking by several inches. Risk factors in men include:

* Alcoholism
* Obesity
* Smoking
* Gastrointestinal disorders
* Sedentary lifestyle
* Lack of sunlight exposure

Men with pre-existing conditions such as asthma, emphysema, Crohn's disease, herniated disks, and autoimmune disease taking steroids such as prednisone or cortisone are increasing their risk of developing osteoporosis that much further.

1 opmerking:

  1. Many readers of my emails seem to have trouble with my blogs. I understand. At my age (soon I will be 68) it can be daunting to do something comnpletely new, like Tai Chi, or Martial Arts, or starting a blog, or learning a new language, or............whatever new thing you want to do.

    But if you overcome your fear, like I do overcome my fear of failure when I start something new, my confidence, my experience, my wisdom, my feeling of being connected grow. That in itself is a huge reward.

    Ok, now you know and you understand why I did send Jan an email message saying that I would put her email on this blog, in the hope that she (and others) will do it herself in the future.

    Here comes her message:

    Hi Bruno.

    The reason I asked you about Natural Tissue Salts a year ago was because I had been diagnosed as being in the early stages of osteoporosis. The Doctors (I went for a second opinion!) prescribed drugs and calcium supplements. I had no desire to take the drugs. I asked my chiropractor/homeopath friend about it and she advised me to see a naturopath as calcium supplements can seriously upset the magnesium balance in the body.

    So.... I am now taking Natural Tissue Salts. Much better for my body I'm sure, but it DOES take time.

    An interesting article by Dr Mercola. I do read his articles occasionally. I also receive the newsletters from his associate, Dr Becker, the homeopathic vet.

    I don't often respond to your emails but I do appreciate receiving them.
    So, thank you.

    See you at Tai Chi on 21st January.

    Jan xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen